Sunday, February 24, 2008

Dual personality and week-end reflections

I'm still jumping between Xanga and Blogger. Most of the people that I might write for still live in Xanga-land. Comparatively, the blogger world seems to be a vast expanse of unknown people. Someday, I'll have to make a decision.

Had a little more time this week than usual (or perhaps I made a little more time this week). Caught up with friends here and there and, in the process, remember God's goodness to me over the past few years. Next year is still in limbo and, at this point, even when med-schools come back in March or April, I know things won't be any less straightforward.

In the meantime, it's time spent with people. It's hard not to think about the past whenever I spend time with people in the present. It's been like watching a movie where every scene is supersaturated with flashbacks. Whether it's sitting in a brother's room reading for class or heating up Trader Joe's Mandarin Chicken and steaming some zucchini while chatting with another friend or playing Scrabble with a cousin who just happens to be a school friend as well (heck, I even got to play outdated video games with a buddy too), all these moments remind me that this phase in life is ending quickly and that schoolwork, career choices, and everything else that comes with growing up are all fine and good, but not terribly important at this point in time.

In John 14, Jesus's disciples ask him three things.

"Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" (v.5)
"Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." (v. 8)
"Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not the world?" (v. 22)

How does Jesus comfort them?
He tells them that he is the way, the truth, and the life; he tells them that whoever has seen him has seen the Father; and he tells them that the Holy Spirit will teach them all things help them remember everything that Jesus has told them. It's the Trinity at work. And the work is good.

The disciples are worried about the future because they are uncertain as to how God will provide for them. Jesus tells them that his departure to the cross, to the grave, and to his Father are the means by which their future will be secured. Rejoice because "peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid" (v. 27). Does that mean the disciples know where they will go tomorrow or what they will be doing ten years from now? Of course not. But, what Jesus does tell them is that they will not be alone as they strive to obey his commandment to love one another as Christ has loved them. As Christ reminds them in chapter 16, he says these things so that they "may have peace" because he has "overcome the world."

This past week also reminded me that I have still have time left for the school year so I'll try to make the most of it. I'll take things as they come. I'll trust God with the decision-making process.

But as these past few years have taught with regards to maturing in my faith, it'll take time.

1 comment:

Mike M said...

don't forget the chips and salsa...

maturity would not be maturity if it did not take effort and some time.