Sunday, November 16, 2008

Following the news

They say that M1 year leaves little in terms of having a life, but I find that there is still time to do plenty of other things as well, even at the expense of studying. One of things that I find myself doing more than I ever did in undergrad is following the news. Ever since the election, pretty much every headline story concerns the economic situation both domestically and abroad. There's so much talk of people that are looking simply to survive, to make ends meet financially (and I would suppose emotionally as well too). It reminds me that most of humanity would be content to have a job and make a living doing it--and that's commendable. Whatever discussion of finding the "right" career seems to be secondary to the overriding need to have food to eat and a place to sleep. The hyper-practicality for which ABCs chide their parents bears some of this wisdom.

Having the opportunity to do what one wants is a privilege and the ability to make ends meet is a blessing. Furthermore, having the chance to safely wallow in uncertainty is just as much a gift that not everyone can enjoy.

2 comments:

Mike M said...

i find myself doing the same thing, following the news more. it seems to be one of my few connections to the real-world nowadays.

oxyjin said...

yay news! :)

"Furthermore, having the chance to safely wallow in uncertainty is just as much a gift that not everyone can enjoy."
i liked that :)