Monday, June 28, 2010

A book opens itself as much as it is read

As a mentioned in my last post, the phlebotomist at the clinic I spent time at was a memorable character. To me, she was a hidden story tucked away in a room between the kitchen and the area where patients were seen--a quiet yet bubbly woman who waddled in and out to get her blood draws. She would spend her free moments burying herself in a novel or knitting a pillowcases as wedding gifts for friends. Whenever I came by, I would trade pictures of my nephews and niece for her children. She always had stories to tell, beginning them as if they were a continuation of a previous conversation. What always struck me was how surprisingly detailed her succinct stories always seemed. Perhaps it was my vivid imagination that gave pictures to her words--images not drawn from prior experiences but perhaps conjured from a separate life that had merged with a collective conscience.

One story that struck me in particular was one that she shared about her mother when she passed away. She and her sister had decided to live with her mom during those last weeks trying all the while to hold themselves together emotionally. Alcohol was as as abundant as the grief. Mom used to bake pastries and pies all the time for the family, it became a family tradition of sorts. So during those last days, the two daughters baked pies for mom and when alone drank in the melancholy of the moment.

When I hear stories like this, my somber soul insists that somewhere therein lies a serenity that supersedes sadness. I can't quite grasp how this is logically possible, but if sacrifice can surrender to salvation, then something about this must be true.

No comments: