Thursday, October 21, 2010

The efficiency of social medicine

Yesterday I spent time at the free clinic that the ob-gyn residents run for indigenous patients. The last patient we saw that day was a post-menopausal elderly woman who presented with chronic cystocele and rectocele issues. This patient had already had significant spinal surgeries in the past and was wary of the complications involved in the post-surgical healing process. My resident showed a remarkable amount of tact over discussing the option of surgery. From a physician point of view, it's easy to take such delicate matters lightly when discussing patient options. It would be nice to believe that the decision is a simple yes or no decision or as medical people like to put it, "a matter of doing what's best for you," but the cost of surgery is more than a financial one; it is also an emotional and social one as well. Several times over the interview, my resident repeated herself to the patient regarding treatment options and quality of life issues. On one hand, this took more time, but on the other hand, I believe it also played a role in helping the patient make her decision. In the end, the patient still had to weigh her options.

Today, I went to see an ophthalmologist in town to discuss possible cataract surgery. The group here in town has a cushy facility that is a stark contrast to the clinic I spent time in the day before. The place was packed with the elderly. Having had to deal with congenital cataracts growing up, this was an all too familiar setting.

Somewhere in the large waiting room, an elderly lady voice asked a nurse,"Excuse me ma'm. Did they forget about me?"

As I ran through the litany of eye exams--the measurements, the letter charts, the dilation drops--I became increasingly impatient over the whole process. These were the things I had gone through my entire life, but over the past couple years, my failing eye sight had become a bit of sore topic whenever it came up among my classmates who really never understood quite what I was going through. "You really should get those checked out," they would say, or "I think you need glasses or something." These were the words of future physicians of the future. Beware of such "sympathies."

The ophthalmologist was a middle-aged male physician. A brief greeting without the handshake tipped me off that he might have been in a hurry, and as the interview progressed it became even more apparent that he was probably thinking more about the long line of people in the waiting room. He took a look at my eyes and asked me the purpose of this meeting. i told him my concerns and he presented with the surgical options. Somewhere in the conversation, the "doing what's best for you" cliche came out. When I had concerns about scheduling and financing, he referred me to his nurses. When I asked him about recent studies over new lens implants, he said they were "very good." As the conversation progressed, I began to feel hurried in my questions and concerns and increasingly irritated as well. I found myself repeating similar concerns because I sensed a growing anxiety within myself, but the hurried doctor sensed none of this. The interview ended with him getting up before me and having his nurse guide me out the door.

The moment a physician begins to feel or act hurried, regardless of how behind he or she is, you lose the essence of what it means to be a physician. What you essentially tell a patient through your body language or lack of explanation is that your time and comfort is more important than their well-being. Emotions are messy; they are, by definition, inefficient. They do not fit in your 15 minute blocks that a physician constructs in his or her schedule. I have little sympathy for doctors that take on heavy schedules to make more money at the cost of quality of patient interaction, especially in a private practice setting.

Driving home, I realized two things. One, I was going to find another one of his partners to do the surgery. Two, if I ever became a physician, I hoped that I would never conduct myself in such a manner. I understand stress makes people do things they might not normally do, but the doctor left a sour taste in my mouth. It's encounters such as the one I had today that make me even more cynical about the medical profession. Fortunately, for every doc like this one, I have had the chance to be with others, such as the ob-gyn resident, who demonstrate the ideals that I struggle to hold to as I continue in my medical training.

No comments: