Friday, August 29, 2008

And we're off (part 2)...

During this first week of school, I have caught myself surveying the lecture hall and noticing the different groups in which people have settled. Because I sit in the middle row in the middle seat with a fellow classmate. I have an ideal perch from which to look over my fellow classmates. People, for the most part, are friendly here, though I have noticed that we've gotten to the point where if we pass a fellow M1 in the hallway who we do not yet know, we are quite comfortably able to avert the eyes and shuffle past one another.

As for me, I have found that though I may have sat in the same spot this week with the same friend, my thoughts have been constantly on the different groups around me. I see different parts of myself scattered in the different circles; I want to be good friends with people who are parts of circles that may never intersect.

As I continue to try find consistency in my interactions, I think one of two things is happening: I am either losing myself in an attempt to change who I am or I am finding myself anew in becoming part of new social network.

And then I wonder to myself if there is a third possibility: in achieving the latter, am I also accomplishing the former?

1 comment:

Min said...

yeah i am pretty sure our cliques here formed within 5 days.