Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Dark Knight

(Warning, possible spoilers below)

Okay. I admit it. I was sort of suckered in by the 94 percent rating that the movie had on Rottentomatoes. This was, in part, due to the fact that I was rather satisfied with the last movie I saw, The Visitor, that was rated a 93 on the same site. Additionally, almost everyone who I had talked to about the movie could only gush and rave about it ("Yeah, it's long, but you don't even notice").

I think many of my thoughts are stated already by this observant critic from the New Yorker.

To reiterate, the movie didn't really build after Joker is put in jail the first time--it just kept going (kind of like the Departed, plus about two endings), Christian Bale made Batman's voice kind of funny in a sad sort of way (I know Batman has issues but it's not like he's sick with strep throat), and the movie could have done just as much with less (less endings, less privacy-invasive sonar devices, etc.).

And finally, I was disappointed that Harvey Dent's death had to be covered up the way it was in order for the people of Gotham to have their hero preserved. Then there was that line about the people needing something more than truth (which, in the case, is a lie). I think this part is just as disturbing as the Joker's nihilistic tendencies. Let the people live their lives believing in something that doesn't exist (because we simply can't handle the truth that human nature is twisted). Still, I liked how Batman sacrifices his hero status for the sake of the city, becoming both protector and scapegoat.

Overall, the movie was entertaining but I know that's because I've been a Batman fan since childhood. I probably won't go see it again or even buy it. I'd almost prefer the first one over this one. Hopefully, the next movies will learn from past mistakes and try to weave together a story that is both compelling and, of course, entertaining.

No comments: