Monday, June 15, 2009

Basketball Jones meets some locals

During my daily trip to the YMCA, I ran into three graduating high school students on the court. Unfortunately, I forgot their names, the white guy and the white girl, but I did remember the black guy's name--LaShard. We played some casual two on two (and I mean casual) but it was really nice to actually play a game with some people who did play a little ball--even if we didn't keep score or really up the intensity (and played with a woman's ball). I talked to the WB (white boy--let's call him this until I find out his name next time) a bit and he told me that there indeed is not much to do around here, aside from drinking and working out. All of them don't intend to go very far for college (if they are going), and the girl tells me that she works at Subway year-round. The WB works on a temp basis at the Rayovac plant in town. I hope to see these folks more often, but who knows whether this little interaction tonight becomes a saga of some sort or remains merely a short story.

No comments: