Monday, June 1, 2009

Medicine Rotation #1

Now that I have my camera, I've been eagerly looking for unique shots as I drive around Dixon and the surrounding cities. Today, I had to go to Oregon, which is about 15 miles north of Dixon to follow some family physicians. This morning was gorgeous, it was one of those mornings when the sun peaks through an assortment of clouds, shining off hills, trees, and water, painting a breath-taking picture. Unfortunately, I was not able to pull over and snap a few as I would have liked but, rest assured, I won't let the opportunity slip through my fingers next time.

I ended up having a fairly short day since this afternoon was to be dedicated to 120 high school physicals. This morning, I was reminded of the pitiful plight of primary care in addition to being reminded of how much I had forgotten over the last nine months. As I had been told by other physicians in the past, the primary care scene certainly presented with a variety of patients: young, old, infants, pregnant, mentally retarded, very old, etc. I suppose it would have been cool to have taken pictures of all these people, but, unfortunately, that would have been difficult to pull off without repercussions of some sort.

This photo was taken as I sat in the drive-thru at a hot-dog stand in Oregon. I suppose a picture of the food joint would have been more stimulating but this picture highlights the interesting juxtaposition of luxury and more modest housing that is fairly prevalent in this area. Pictures like this, in addition to the abundance of nature, remind me that this isn't quite the suburbs.

The next few photos I took from the bridge that crosses the Rock River that runs through Dixon. These photos are from behind the hospital and represent some rather pathetic attempts to capture unique perspectives of otherwise boring subject matter. One of them shows the YMCA where I signed up for a membership today.



These last couple photos were taken near my apartment. One of the photos includes a piece of the Berlin Wall. One of Dixon's sistertowns was in Germany, and this little historical relic made its way to Dixon after its demolition.

No comments: