Friday, June 5, 2009

Basketball Jones Remix

I went running the other day looking for a trail along the river. Unfortunately, the path that I took ended up taking me through residential areas. When the weather is nice, the river is a beautiful site. They also tell me that the water in Dixon has some issues, something about receiving mail notices about traces of radium and arsenic in the water. Beauty kills, I suppose.

The YMCA here has a basketball court and for the first time in while, I have finally found an indoor court that is pretty much people-free during the summer. In the suburbs, this is pretty much impossible and, what more, memberships are kind of expensive. Unfortunately, I am pretty much alone here and, had I not been in Dixon, IL, I would have called up my buddies to come here and play ball. Aside from the interesting glances I get from the natives here who probably don't see too many Asians, let alone Asians on a basketball court, I'm pretty much left alone.

Shooting around has brought back so many childhood memories: from playing on the varsity basketball team in junior high (we had a small school) to coming in early in the mornings so that my gym teacher could help me work on my form. In some ways, solitary shooting has been therapeutic and running suicides, euphoric (um, ok, that's a stretch).

I have decided that I want to learn how to throw behind the back passes this summer in addition to regaining an erratic stroke that I used to have sometime during high school. Obviously, it would be nice to have some pick-up games but so far it seems that playing ball doesn't seem to be popular thing here.

No comments: